Otis Park began as a farm in the 1860s. The original 1865 Italianate house is still located on the grounds. After the farm failed, there were a series of owners. Local newspaperman Fred Otis acquired the property and in 1915 he donated it to the City of Bedford for a park and golf course.
From 1937-1941, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) set out to beautify the approximately 150 acres of the park/golf course. Since limestone was abundant in the area, the WPA used the stone throughout the park for buildings, bridges, picnic shelters, and rock walls/fencing. The most notable WPA-era feature is the 2-story Neoclassical band shell. Designed by Joe Cezar, it was the only limestone band shell constructed by the WPA.
Otis Park is the largest public park in Bedford and it is adjacent to an 18-hole golf course.